Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I wish I believed word equals world; but I don't--or at-least I don't believe words as poetry equal world.

I'm toying with the idea of no longer identifying as feminist, which is odd as I get annoyed reading poets who dismiss feminism: Eileen Myles, Alice Notley--those two names are on/off my tongue immediately; I'm sure there are many more. For some time now I've hoped humanism could be a synonym, but now I'm less sure, and I think humanism is where I'm more interested/faithful/hopeful.

Probably a better way to put "this" is: I don't know if the literary sphere can be feminist in any way which is seen as synonymous with the world off the page, and I'm not sure literary feminism makes enough sense as a concept, and this is almost appaling of me because so much of my feminism is rooted in the literary! I'm not, personally, thinking of literary and writing in general as synonyms; this quip/questioning applies less to expository writing; or maybe not.

Words which seem urgent to me--urgently in need of redefining and or more expansive definition: power, choice, consent.

"...her wounds came from the same source as her power":

This strikes me as a good poet-line correlative for feminism, and especially feminist heterosexuality-- as heterosexuality may be seen as an identity which massively disenfranchises women, and simultaneously heterosexual women have or are part of an immense power by being heterosexual.

Why don't I just go on a style kick on this blog--rave about the Petrarchan sonnet rhyme-scheme, Gianni Versace and his fabulous heavily beaded dresses circa 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment